Since I have posted an image of a nude female figure, and because some people whom I know will not understand this, I think it a good time to express some of my thoughts on this.
The nude figure is generally not a hang-up for me. The human form can be viewed as beautiful, and this may be done in a non-sexual way. Some may argue that I have a responsibility as a religious man or a Christian to avoid causing my brother to stumble. I agree, however there is such a thing as personal responsibility. I do not agree that all of my actions should be defined by what I may or may not be causing another man to do (insecurity should not be confused with maturity). Another man does have a responsibility to avoid the things that may cause him harm. Artistic rendering of the naked human body is largely about beauty and form. If indeed we are made in God's image (and I believe this great mystery to be true- even if it is abused) we should see the human body as beautiful and sacred. I have heard the argument that the nude in art is no different than pornography. Pornography is vile and disgusting and I hate it (and what it does to people); and I do not agree that they are the same. Though I have seen much 'art' that I find disgusting and devoid of whatever meaning it was intended to have (for example, addressing an issue by merely adding to the ugliness of it). Drawing the nude female form has not caused me to objectify woman, but has given me greater respect and reverence. Far from causing me to think about woman more sexually, I have seen that to a greater extent I cannot afford to do that. The rest of my thoughts on this are not for this setting.
I have a responsibility to God, myself and to the women in my life who are dear to me to be honest and recognize that if exposure to the nude does becomes a problem for me, then I must withdraw from it. I cannot afford to, nor do I want to be undressing women with my eyes. I owe the women in my life (as well as those without) the respect and dignity they deserve as human beings. It is my desire that when I leave the studio the images stay behind and do not haunt me when I blink or when I lie down to sleep. By the grace of God (literally) this has been the case; that I can leave images behind (and yet I increasingly have the ability to recall the human form and render it more accurately). I am however not completely pure in this, and of that I am sorry. Figure drawing, as I have hopefully made clear, has not increased my propensity to objectify women. Indeed, that is what the grocery store check-out lane is for.
This should suffice for now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

'The one principle of hell is-"I am my own"'
ReplyDeleteGeorge MacDonald, 'Unspoken Sermons, Third Series'. One of the things I don't like about this kind of writing is my tendency to be heavy handed in it- to not express my thoughts well and for my pride to be made most apparent. I have made some errors in the above blog. After all, this technology has given man the most efficient means yet devised for making a total ass of himself. I realize I have not acted out of love, but out of defense of being misunderstood. (I posted Rouault's painting of a prostitute for another post I am writing. And, I think his prostitute paintings say more about the nature of life and God and redemption than any of Kinkaide's log cabins ever will.) But what of St. Francis? seeking to love rather to be loved, and to understand rather that be understood. Much of the reading I have been doing for class is the sort that gasses on and on about individuality (as if three quarters of the population even knows what that is). This annoys me and I know much of it is rubbish, never the less it has influenced me a bit. Know that I am not blaming the reading, as it only feeds a natural propensity. I'm not sure which direction to go from here and haven't the time currently to write more on the subject. If somebody has a particular issue with something I've written they can state it and I will perhaps address it.